- Forgotten your own wedding anniversary, perhaps every year since that joyous event?
- Forgotten to order presents in time for your poor, long-suffering parents on mother’s or father’s day?
- Been counting down to an imagined day in the future where you’ll stomp into your boss’s office, throw down that badge with the unflattering photo, and tell him to take this job and shove it? (well, ok, maybe it’s just a long-planned three day vacation)
And, really, one of the best uses of this for fun — building anticipation for good things and events coming in your future, like that new Movie release you’ve been waiting for.
Sound good? Here’s a widget for you.
For iGoogle users today, and hopefully other platforms soon.
Notes on the “Days Until” widget
- Nov 6, 2007 Small updates this month and last to fix bugs and refine some features.
- Set the future date, by changing the Year, Month, and Day fields, which are displayed in that order. (And are pre-populated with today’s date). I tried to avoid things that required special date handling for different parts of the world, and settled on this simple trick, with no text.
- Hit the delete button to remove a reminder
- Annual recurrence is handled automatically for you. However, other types of recurrence (monthly, irregular) are not supported.
- Compared to Caleb’s existing countdown widget, some pros of Days Until are 1) Quicker to add/remove counters 2) Many counters per widget and some cons are 1) Smaller size of countdown timers (big timers for big events is kinda nice) 2) Only recalculates the countdown when you refresh the page (to make the widget simpler & less load on your browser)
- The code for Days Until is hosted at Google. The code is available under the permissive MIT license. Hopefully this will enable others to port it to other widget platforms, like Netvibes UWA, Pageflakes, Microsoft, Yahoo, etc.
- Uses the simple, ever-useful, and free two-tone icon library
- Curious about how this kind of widget gets developed? Subscribe to blog posts here, or look in comments below for follow-up postings on news related to the Days Since widget.
- Feedback and feature requests are welcome. And if you have new, interesting uses for this, please let others know.
- Want reminders that recur frequently, but aren’t tied to a specific date? (hey, when did you last water that plant?!) Take a look at Days Until’s sister widget, named Days Since.
Spread the word