OpenID, Rails, and Peepcode
OpenID is an exciting, up-and-coming technology which will make website registration and login simpler (Finally! Fewer passwords to remember!)
I’m hopeful that, over the next year, you’ll see a flood of web apps add support for it.
But today there are only a few dozen web apps that have that support. Support in web frameworks like Ruby on Rails is here or coming soon, but word hasn’t reached the masses yet.
To play some small part in filling that need, I’ll be helping to create a screencast which walks the viewer through adding support for OpenID to an existing Rails app. As this work is done, I’ll post here with some of the information and questions that come up, along with a little on the general process of creating a screencast. Subscribe if you’re interesting in reading this series of posts, and you can also see some of the resources I use at my openid tagged pages (del.icio.us).
The screencast will be posted on peepcode.com, Geoffrey Grossenbach’s repository of professional, high-value screencasts on a specific topics. I’ve admired Geoffrey’s work and various projects for a long time, and am looking forward to working on one of his efforts.
Please let me know if you have any feedback — a question or topic you’d like covered, for example.
Here’s the tentative topics:
5m Getting an OpenID for ourselves
10m Installing the Mephisto Rails-based blog engine
5m Plugging an OpenID login into Rails
10m Creating our OpenID-unique tests
10m Analyzing and migrating our models
10m Merging our views and controller logic
5m The final product
Here are some examples of the early questions I need to answer:
- How much should I summarize topics already hit by Simon’s introductory screencast for non-technical OpenID users?
- For the example project, add OpenID support to Mephisto (blog) or Junebug (wiki)?
- Will I need any major dependencies beyond ruby-openid (and its login generator)?
- Will there be time in the screencast (targeted at 40 mins) to make a standard plug-in?
- What are the top 3-5 gotchas that cause people to loose time when embarking on OpenID themselves?